Tuesday Sept. 6, 2016
An electric railway extended up Yonge Street all the way to Lake Simcoe and then on to Sutton. Electric railways had to have a continuous supply of electricity and so they built generating stations along their route. The Toronto & York Radial Railway reached Aurora and Newmarket by 1899 and they built a power generating station at Bond Lake just north of Richmond Hill. The railway was abandoned in 1930 but soon resurrected until October 1948 when it was finally closed for good. The need to generate power had ended years before and the facility was no longer needed for it’s original purpose. The Toronto Public Library has the following picture from April 13, 1955 which shows the substation in relation to the foundations of the steam generating plant in the foreground. The foundations include the furnace section to the right. A transmission pole stands near the foundations. Bond Lake can be seen in the background. This picture was likely taken from Yonge Street. The substation is in use as a private residence at this time.
The front of the substation as it exits in 2016. The siding is peeling off showing the original brickwork. The front porch is missing as are all the add on sections to the right in the picture above. It has been some time since this building served as a home.
From the rear the old steel substation roof can be seen under the shingles that were not present in 1955. Two gaping holes in the roof suggest that there isn’t much time left for the historic structure if no one intervenes.
Notice in the archive picture how the entire area was sparsely treed in 1955. Now the forest has regenerated around the substation.
This photo shows Bond Lake as seen from behind the generating station. A pipe still extends out into the lake.
The foundations of the steam generating station are seen in this second 1955 photo from the library.
A similar picture today shows the advance of nature on the station over the past 60 years. Trees are growing between each of the chambers and it is only a matter of time before they will begin to slowly topple the remaining structures.
The entrance to one of the furnaces in the steam generating plant can be seen in the following photo.
The structure is mostly made from cut blocks of limestone as was common for the railway just before the turn of the last century.
The foundations to the left in the picture of the full site were clear of any trees. Today there is a young forest around them and they are overgrown with vines.
This set of wires and poles lays beside the generating plant.
In 1912 the town of Richmond Hill made a contract with the Toronto & York Radial Railway to buy excess power that they were generating at their Bond Lake plant. On December 30, 1912 the electric streetlights came on in Richmond Hill for the first time. Commercial use in stores and homes began at the same time. A lone transmission pole stands near the generating station.
In 1899 The Metropolitain Railway purchased the property of William Bell to create a park on the shores of the lake. It was Ontario’s first electric park with the power being supplied by the railway generating station. Later, Eldorado Park would build upon the same model.
More pictures and details of the Toronto & York Radial Railway as well as Bond Lake will be featured in upcoming posts.
Google Maps Link: Bond Lake
Like us at http://www.facebook.com/hikingthegta.com
Follow us at http://www.hikingthegta.com