Monthly Archives: February 2020

Hole In The Wall

Saturday, February 6, 2020

Saturday proved to be one of the coldest hike days of the year so far and we determined not to set ourselves up for too long of an excursion.  Arriving with two cars, we parked one beside the town hall in Limehouse.  The second car we moved to the point where the Bruce Trail crosses the 4th Line.  With fresh snow on the ground, it is always interesting to see the tracks of the animals we share the trails with.  This small set of tracks includes drag marks from the tail of the mouse that made them.

IMG_0633

The Bruce Trail is a resource that many people seem to ignore in the winter months but each season has its own special beauty.  We saw very few other people until we reached the Limehouse Conservation Area, where dog walkers were taking advantage of the sunny day.

IMG_0639 (1)

The first school in Limehouse was one room made of log construction.  It was replaced in 1862 with a one room stone building.  When the lime industry was prosperous the town grew fast so that by 1876 there were three hotels and three general stores.  That year, 4,130 tons of lime and lumber was shipped from the railway station in town.  A second floor was added to the school in 1875 but it was only used until 1890 when it was closed.  The room was opened again in 1954 and remained in use until 1962 when the school was replaced with a new one.  Today the building serves as a private residence.

IMG_0636

Eastern gray squirrels can move quickly when they are caught by surprise and are capable of clearing surprisingly large distances with each leap.

Resized_20200208_121253

Acidic water breaks down carbonate rocks such as limestone by dissolving them.  This process is known as karst and is common throughout the Niagara Escarpment.  For more detailed information and pictures of this please visit our post on Eramosa Karst.  At Limehouse the Bruce Trail passes through a section of karst known as The Hole In The Wall.  Stairs allow you to access the bottom of these cracks in the limestone.

IMG_0645

The cover photo shows the depth of the karst at Limehouse.  Small caves throughout the area are some of the most accessible caves in Southern Ontario.

IMG_0652

In 1917 the Toronto Suburban Electric Railway arrived in Limehouse with a stop on the 5th line at the foot of what is locally known as Gibraltar Hill.  The stop was convenient because it was located between the school and the heart of town.  The old line can still be traced from Georgetown through to Guelph by looking at Google Earth.  The rail line passed through the middle of the mill pond on a trestle.  Three rows of pilings for the trestle can still be seen crossing the drained pond.

IMG_0659

The lime mill was built by John Newton who took the burnt lumps of limestone and ground them into powder.  This was then “slaked” with water and mixed with sand and cow hair.  The resulting mixture was used as mortar in construction.  The mill ruins and the remains of the stone arch from the tail race are all that is left.  These have been deteriorating from people climbing on them and the arch has lost several rows of stones.  They have now been protected behind a recently installed fence.

IMG_0660

The big innovation in lime kilns came with the creation of the draw kiln.  The draw kiln at Limehouse was 16 metres high when it was completed in the 1860s.  It has since collapsed considerably in spite of restoration efforts.  Several of these kilns can be found scattered across the Ontario landscape, including two near complete ones at Kelso.

IMG_0668

The earliest kilns were set kilns where the limestone was placed in the kiln and packed in with wood.  Burning would take days and then it would be allowed to cool down before being unloaded.  There is a strip of seven set kilns that were built in the 1840s.

IMG_0670

The powder house was added in the 1850’s to provide storage for the blasting powder that was used to break up the larger chunks of limestone.  Blasting was discontinued around 1917 as the quarry had expanded to the point where the local residents feared the explosions would damage their homes.

IMG_0675

Limehouse is one of our favourite places to explore because there is so much history that has been retained.  Fortunately, the local historical society is actively working on preservation of the kilns.

Read our other Limehouse blogs: Limehouse and The Bruce Trial – Limehouse

Google Maps Link: Limehouse

Like us at http://www.facebook.com/hikingthegta

Follow us at http://www.hikingthegta.com

Look for us on Instagram

Pioneer Heartbreak

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Having recently been exploring in the area of Keele Street near Maple, I had noticed a pioneer cemetery at Langstaff and Keele Street,   I decided to stop after work and have a look at the restored markers in the old St. Stephen’s Anglican Church graveyard.  The graveyard is not marked on the 1877 county atlas and so I’ve added it in, circled in orange.  The two White families that we will focus on had their land just to the south of the grave site.  In 1965 the grave markers were collected up and placed in a central display to prevent further deterioration of the stones.  Many of them were over 100 years old at the time of the restoration.

While looking at the names and dates on the markers I noticed that there were a lot of tombstones marking the graves of people who lived less than a year.  From the days of the first settlers in North America until the mid-1800s about 30% of infants did not survive their first year.

Whites (2)

Pioneer women would have a child an average of every 26 months and 60% of them would have six or more.  The average family would lose at least one child under the age of 1 year old.

Henry and Elizabeth White may have occupied the land shown as Hiram White in the county atlas.  Eleanor was born to the White family in 1845 but she lived for only 3 years and 3 months before she passed away.  She was buried in the St. Stephen’s Anglican Church cemetery after her passing on May 3, 1848.

IMG_0503

Henry and Elizabeth White went on to have other children, including Anthony who was born in January of 1856.  In pioneer days the common practice was to record the length of time a person lived rather than the birth and death date for them.  Anthony passed away on Mar. 28, 1856 when he was only 2 months and 28 days old.

IMG_0497

In July of 1857 the White family welcomed little William into the world.  Unfortunately, William only lived for 2 months and 4 days and passed away on September 17, 1857.

IMG_0500

Albert was born in January of 1859 and he lived for 10 months and 25 days before passing away.

IMG_0499

Elizabeth became pregnant again, almost right away and she gave birth to Joseph about 10 months later in September of 1860.  Sadly, Joseph would live for only 9 months before passing away in June of 1861.

IMG_0498

Isaac and Elizabeth White were likely related to Henry and Elizabeth.  They also buried young children in the graveyard at St. Stephen’s church.  Mary C. was born in February of 1854 and passed away on July 3rd, just 5 months later.

IMG_0502

A couple of months after this Elizabeth became pregnant again and Elizabeth Ann was born in May of 1855. Two months later she passed away on the first anniversary of the death of her sister.

IMG_0501

An Anglican Church was built in 1838 on a plot of land donated by one of the Keffer brothers of Sherwood.  The property was owned by a member of the Zion Lutheran Church, honouring a longstanding history of cooperation between the two denominations.  In 1895 they built a new church on Keele Street on the north end of Maple.  The prominent feature, apart from the bell tower, is the large gable on the front with a beautiful glass rosette.  The church continues to serve the needs of the congregation in 2020.

IMG_0540 (1)

Many pioneer cemeteries are filled with the small remains of infants who never had the opportunity to grow up and experience life to the fullest.

Explore the two local ghost towns: Sherwood and Maple

Google Maps Link: Langstaff Pioneer Cemetery

Like us at http://www.facebook.com/hikingthegta

Like us at http://www.hikingthegta.com

Look for us on Instagram

Maple – Ghost Towns of the GTA

Saturday, February 1, 2020

The town of Maple is one of the fastest growing communities in Ontario but it wasn’t always this way.  From the founding days in the early 1800s the town was overshadowed by the nearby communities of Teston and Sherwood.  When the railway arrived in 1853 and located the Richmond Hill station on the edge of town things began to change rapidly.  The other local communities began to fade away while Maple became a thriving town with a saw mill, hotels and general stores.  It remained a rural village until the urban sprawl of the GTA caught up to it in the 1950s.  Today the area is home to Canada’s Wonderland, lots of housing and some industry.  However, the original town of Maple sits like a ghost hiding among the new development.  Those older buildings for the nucleus of the Maple Cultural Heritage District that seeks to protect the local history.

The County Atlas below shows what the town looked like in 1877 when it was drawn.

Maple (2)

The Frank Robson log house sits in a fenced woodlot on the west side of Keele Street.  The house has had a couple of additions but the original home was built out of logs cut from the virgin forest on the lot.  The logs of the main structure are notable for their size and the detailing of the dove-tail that links the corners.  The house was bought and restored around 1929 by Sam Sobara when it was sitting in an undeveloped rural area on the edge of Maple.

IMG_0407

The Presbyterian Church was built in 1862 in a style known as Carpenter Gothic.  This design applies the pointed arches and other Gothic features to wooden buildings.  There are very few of these types of buildings in Vaughan.  The Presbyterians had been meeting in town since 1829 and their first building was consecrated in 1832.

IMG_0395

The church purchased a lot across the street to be used for their cemetery and several of the early settlers are buried there.

IMG_0396

Thomas Noble died on March 25, 1857 and lies buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery.  His family were part of the early founders of Maple and the original name for the community was Nobles Corner after Joseph Noble who was the first postmaster.

IMG_0398

There is only one example of Georgian Revival architecture in town.  It was built in 1870 and occupies what is now a prominent corner lot on main street.  The hand-pressed red bricks are accented with buff quoins and window heads.  The house is two stories with three bays on the front.  An historical plaque in front of the house commemorates Lord Beaverbrook who was born in Maple.  William Maxwell Aiken was the son of the Presbyterian Minister in town and went on to become a British Cabinet Minister after moving to the U.K.  He was the largest publisher of mass-circulation news papers in Britain before the Second World War and served on the War Cabinet during it.  He was in charge of the production of fighter aircraft which were instrumental in winning the Battle of Britain.

IMG_0431 (1)

The Weslyan Methodist congregation in Maple was formed in 1833 and replaced their original frame building with a larger brick structure in 1870.  The building incorporates gothic architecture which was very common on church buildings in the mid to late 1800s.  The congregation joined the United Church of Canada in 1925 and continues to serve the community today as New Hope United.

IMG_0392

The doorway is impressive with its dichromatic bricks and round window with decorative muntins.  The pioneers would likely be surprised to find a security camera above the date stone.

IMG_0390

The railway arrived in Maple in 1853 with the construction of a line that would change names several times, originally chartered as the Toronto, Simcoe and Huron Railroad.  It would later be known as the Northern Railway, Grand Trunk Railway and finally was taken over by the Canadian National Railway.  The station appears one county atlas above as the Richmond Hill Station as it was originally known.  The name was changed to the Maple Station when it was acquired by the Canadian National Railway.  The station was replaced by the Grand Trunk Railway in 1903 when it was busy upgrading many of the older stations with grander designs.

IMG_0428

There are dozens of other historical buildings in the Cultural Heritage District of Maple and you can read about them at this link.

Also see our recent story of the nearby ghost town of Sherwood.

Google Maps Link: Maple

Like us at http://www.facebook.com/hikingthegta

Follow us at http://www.hikingthegta.com

Also look for us on Instagram