Saturday, April 15, 2017
On August 17, 1956, the farmland of Scarborough was being transformed into subdivisions and the 401 was being widened to accommodate the increased traffic that the expanding city was faced with. A large mound stood in the middle of a field near Lawrence Avenue and Bellamy Road and the 60-foot tall hill was scheduled to be loaded into trucks and delivered to the site of a 401 overpass that was under construction. After removing nearly 100 feet of the side of the hill a scoop of earth came away full of human bones.
The park isn’t very large but it is unique and worth exploring briefly. There is free parking on Indian Mound Crescent which is an aptly named street as it wraps around the mound. Ongwe-Oweh is the native word for Iroquois and a sign welcomes you to the park.
Work on removing the mound was stopped immediately while an examination of the find was conducted. Initially, there wasn’t any pottery or arrow heads uncovered and the early suspicion was that the mound contained victims of a cholera epidemic from 1870. The purple flag in the tree in this picture has the same native symbols on it that are found below the peace pipe on the park sign in the previous photograph.
Walter Kenyon was brought in from the Royal Ontario Museum who discovered that there was a second burial pit. The site is an ossuary which is a place where the bones of people are placed after they have been removed from their initial burial plot and collected into a community of the dead. The ossuary at Taber Hill was about 15 metres long, 2 metres wide and 0.3 metres deep. The number of skeletons uncovered in the two pits was revised from 472 to 523. A new burial chamber was dug five feet deep and the bones were reinterred. The 35-acre park is managed by the City of Toronto and is thought to be the only First Nations Ossuary to be protected as a cemetery in Canada. In 1961 a stone memorial was placed on the top of the mound. It can be seen clearly in the cover photo.
Burials at this site were conducted around 1250 AD and it is thought the ossuary may be related to two longhouse sites in the area. The Alexandra site near Passmore Forest may have contained up to 1000 residents. When the archaeological dig was completed the bones were buried again in a ceremony known as the Feast of the Dead. Natives held this ceremony at the mound every year until 1966. A group of First Nations peoples were holding a memorial ceremony on the top of the mound today and so out of respect I did not climb to the top to see the two historical markers installed there. On one side is a Scarborough historical marker describing Taber Hill. The other side of the marker has a plaque containing an Iroquois prayer.
This post is presented with the greatest of respect for those whose remains lay buried under this mound.
Google Maps Link: Taber Hill Park
Like us at http://www.facebook.com/hikingthegta
Follow us at http://www.hikingthegta.com