Saturday, March 21, 2020
The County of Chinguacousy was surveyed in 1818 and the land grants were quickly given out to Loyalists from the War of 1812-1814 as well as emigrants from the British Isles. Emmanuel Harrison arrived in December of 1820 and bought part of Lot 9 in the 5th Concession. Here he built a log cabin and encouraged the local Wesleyan Methodists to meet on his property.
On May 20th, 1840 he ceded an acre of land for the use of the church. They established a burial ground and built a frame church which was 40 X 60 feet. During the early years the men sat on one side of the church with the women and children on the other. Newly married couples were allowed the pleasure of sitting together for the first three weeks. It was used until 1876 and then converted into a dance hall for the next few years. It was demolished in 1880.
A project was begun in 1875 to build a new church and a site was chosen on the opposite side of the road. By 1876 the new brick structure was opened with the original vestibule having a flat roof. The two front corners were adorned with small steeple shaped towers. In 1925 the Methodist Church joined with some of the Presbyterian Churches to form the United Church of Canada.
Renovations in 1947 raised the structure by 35 inches and dug the basement down an additional 3 feet. The walls were originally buttressed with pale coloured bricks. The dichromatic pattern was continued at ground level with four rows of bricks for trim. The new foundation can be seen below this row in the form of new flagstones. The church continued to serve the community until 1983 when it was sold.
The building was bought by the Jewish Reform congregation Har Tikvah. They modified it by installing new windows on the east wall and a custom built Ark of the Covenant to house the scrolls of the Torah. A close up of the east wall wall window reveals a plain plate glass. The earlier stained glass depicting a Christian motif is long gone.
The original date stone is hidden behind a new flag but when the wind moves it the right way you can still read Wesleyan Church and the date 1876. I fully support the re-purposing of historic buildings. It is much more desirable than the demolition of them to build expressionless replacements. This one has the unique privilege of having served three different faiths. It’s just unfortunate that the full history of the structure isn’t being celebrated as one faith superimposes its symbols over the earlier one. Perhaps they could have been expressed side-by-side rather than in competition.
Emmanuel Harrison Sr. was buried along with his wife Rachel in the cemetery that he founded. Rachel passed away on June 14, 1871 at the age of 81 years and 10 months. Emmanuel followed her just five months later on December 11, 1871. He was also 81 years old at the time.
Emmanuel and Rachel had one of their children in 1828 and decided to name him after his father. Emmanuel Harrison Jr. lived until 1920 and was married twice. Both of his wives and two of his children are commemorated on his family stone. His first wife was Everilda Hagyard and she died on May 28, 1885. The couple had lost a daughter on July 25, 1875 named Mary Beatrice who was only 4 months old. In 1883 their first son, Frederick C. Harrison died at the age of 12.
Emmanuel Harrison is remembered along with his wife, at least one son, two daughter-in-laws and two grandchildren in the cemetery he founded and the church that he started is remembered by a building that was completed five years after his passing.
Google Maps Link: Harrison’s United Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery
Like us at http://www.facebook.com/hikingthegta
Follow us at http://www.hikingthegta.com
Also look for us on Instagram