Tag Archives: Hamilton Northwestern Railway

Inglewood

Saturday, December 3, 2016

By the time that Inglewood was getting started a lot of small communities in Ontario had already faded from prominence, including nearby Sligo.  Inglewood got started directly from the arrival of two railways.  To investigate this area, we left one car on Chingaucousy Road just north of Boston Mills Road where the Caledon Trailway (yellow below) crosses.  A second car was taken to Ken Whillans Resource Management Area where there is free Trailway parking and access.  The hike took roughly the green trail including wandering around in what would become Inglewood.

inglewood-map

A short trail connects the resource area with the former Hamilton & North Western Railway (H&NW) that was built through here in 1877.  The Trailway crosses the Credit River on the same bridge that the railway once used.

img_4908

A close look at the H&NW crossing reveals several railway construction methods.  Wood pilings can still be seen in the river from the earliest crossing.  Cut limestone has been used for the abutments and a central pier that supports the current steel bridge.  The upstream side of the central pier has been given a newer concrete facing and point to act as a spring ice breaker to reduce damage to the bridge.

img_4906

The Trailway heads west from here toward Inglewood.  The railway junction was created when the Credit Valley Railway (CVR) arrived in 1878.  The historical atlas above shows the junction as well as the woolen mills but the town was yet to get started.  Early names for the community were Sligo and Sligo Junction but these name didn’t last because it had already been used in the area.  The original Sligo had a post office which was located on Thomas Bell’s property a couple of concessions north.  I’ve indicated the location on the map with an arrow.  There was also a switchback on Centre Street (marked on the map) where a community named Sligo had once housed a population of 50.  The name was changed to Riverdale but when the post office was opened a new name was needed and Inglewood was chosen.

The two railway lines crossed on the west side of the street where you will also see the old General Store.  Built in 1886 by George Merry it has an interesting and highly decorative chimney.  The rear of the store housed a bake oven that outgrew the location and, after moving, supplied bread to the local towns until it was destroyed by fire in 1940.

img_4916

South of the railway junction is the railway hotel which now serves as a general store.  It was built around 1881.  The original industry predates the town and is still to be found on Maple Lane in the form of several stone buildings.  A short laneway, lined with mature trees, leads to the mill.  In 1834 the property was purchased by Thomas Corbett who built a dam, mill race and a small frame woolen mill known as Riverside Woolen Mills.  A larger mill was built downstream a few years later so that the work of fulling and spinning the wool could be done in the mill instead of in the local farmer’s homes by their wives.  In 1871 the mill was rebuilt in stone by Corbett’s son-in-law, David Graham.  That building is seen in the photo below.

img_4936

Just four years later the building was gutted by fire and leased to Ward and Algie who rebuilt the mill.  It grew and in 1890 the Grahams returned to running the mill.  The building seen below was added by them in 1896.

img_4935

The head race carried water from the river to the mill to power the machinery.  The Riverwood Mill raceway is an obvious trench that the local farmer now cuts for a crop of hay.  The cover photo shows the raceway with the farmer’s old steel bridge allowing him access to his property on the other side.

img_4945

At the upper end of the raceway is  a section of the river that has been protected with gabion baskets filled with rock.  There are at least two phases of the gabion as a lower one is badly corroded.  There are no signs of any original dam construction here.

img_4951

Inglewood is a good place for a short walk through town to observe some of its architectural heritage.  The house below is in the correct place to be the David Graham house on the historical atlas above.  The Cultural Heritage Landscapes Inventory suggests that it could be his home.  If so, it predates the building of the village.  This five-bay, one and a half story Regency Cottage has the elaborate doorway and large ceiling to floor windows that were popular between 1810 and 1840.  If this is the original Graham house, as it appears to be, then it contains a mystery.  It faces Louise Street and not 1st line west (McLaughlin Road) as one would expect.

img_4961

This house is also on David Graham’s property  and dates to around 1870 making it contemporary with the mill and not the town.  There is a stone building behind this house that was most likely used by workers at the mill.

img_4963

The Methodist Church was built in 1889 with a grand opening in 1890.  The Graham family was a key employer in the town and was also instrumental in the construction of this church building.  In 1925 the Methodist Church merged into the United Church.  This building is interesting in that it has a weathervane instead of a cross.

img_4921

The Trailway continues west out of Inglewood to where it crosses Old Base Line. Continuing, it passes through The Caledon Golf and Country Club.  Near Chingaucousy Road you will see a series of decaying chalets that used to belong to the country club.  They have been described in greater detail in a post called Caledon Country Club Chalets.

img_5014

The historic town of Inglewood and the Caledon Trailway make a great place to explore.

Google Maps Link: Inglewood

Like us at http://www.facebook.com/hikingthegta

Follow us at http://www.hikingthegta.com

Caledon Country Club Chalets

Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016

Bruce McLaughlan had a vision of a country resort for the entire family.  In the late 1950’s he purchased an 180-acre farm known as Wynn Standing Farm.  The property is shown as the Estate of John Standing on the 1877 county atlas.   The farm was on the northern edge of Chingaucousy Township and so the original name for the club was Chingaucousy Country Club.  Today, the club extends from Mclaughlan Road to Chingauciusy Road.  The cover photo shows one of the abandoned chalets that remain on the property.  It, along with the one below, can be seen from the parking area beside the Caledon Trailway on Chingaucousy Road.

Today, the club extends from Mclaughlan Road to Chingauciusy Road.  The cover photo shows one of the abandoned chalets that remain on the property.  It, along with the one below, can be seen from the parking area beside the Caledon Trailway on Chingaucousy Road.

img_4970

McLaughlan hired Rene Muylaert to design the course even though Rene had never designed a golf course before.  Apparently, Muylaert did a good job as he went on to design over 50 other golf courses in Ontario.  Among these were the Inglewood and Glen Eagle courses.  As can be seen in the pictures presented here, entry to these buildings is very dangerous.  Floors and ceilings have already collapsed and more can go at any time.

img_4971

In the summer of 1961 the first nine holes were opened for golfing.  An equestrian riding academy was added and tennis courts were being built.  New for 1961 was a small model farm for children and a supervised playground.  The picture below shows one of the old chalets that is folding in on itself.

img_4977

Memberships were coming in at twice the rate anticipated and another 70 acres were added to the site in 1962.  Ongoing improvements led to a new club house near the Credit River which was opened in 1963. Chalets that have weathered better than the others have still been broken into and exposed to the elements so that all of them are destroyed.

img_4985

Next, a series of chalets were added with the intention of providing year-round attractions. Cross country skiing, skating, outdoor curling and horse-drawn sleigh rides were provided as winter activities.  The Chingaucousy Country Club also expanded to 27 holes, with nine of them being for juniors.  Although the chalets were intended for all season usage there is no evidence of any insulation in the walls or ceilings.

img_4989

In the 1980’s the riding academy was closed and the junior 9 holes were also removed. The swimming pool had already been closed by this time.  In 1988 the club went from private to a fully public one and took on the new name of Caledon Country Club.  Around this time the rental of the chalets was discontinued as well. They have been in the process of decaying ever since. The local coyote has moved into this cottage as can be seen from the coyote scat that is left at the door to mark this chalet as occupied.

img_5000

Like many of the buildings, this chalet has given a new meaning to the term “sky light”.

img_4998

This is another of the 8 chalets that are falling down in the old resort.

img_5007

The last of the buildings headed east, this one visible from the Caledon Trailway.  The trailway has been created on the former Hamilton Northwestern Railway line.  The Canadian National Railway operated on this line from 1878 until 1967.

img_5013

The Caledon Trailway runs through the Golf Club property and can be hiked from here to Inglewood and then on to the Ken Whillans Resource Management Area.

Google Maps Link: Caledon Country Club

Like us at http://www.facebook.com/hikingthegta

Follow us at http://www.hikingthegta.com