Tag Archives: erindale

Erindale Powerhouse

Saturday June 18, 2016

The Erindale Powerhouse was opened in 1910 and operated until power was delivered from Niagara Falls in 1923.  The building was closed and sat abandoned until 1977 when it was demolished.  Today, the site is only accessible by water.  The archive photo below shows the powerhouse shortly after construction.

lg_k3701

Hiking the GTA visited The Erindale Hydro Electric Dam in October 2014 at which time we looked at the power structures on the north side of Dundas Street.  The intake system that drew water from Lake Erindale and brought it to the powerhouse was described along with photographs.  Water was fed through a pipe under Dundas Street to the power generation buildings on the south side of town.  The pipe, or penstock, is open on the north end and led to the question “What is on the other end?”

head

Our Credit River at Erindale post began as an attempt to follow the river south to locate the remains of the old powerhouse.  This trip was called off due to ice on the shale but a later trial was to prove that access from the west wasn’t possible.  The east end is fenced off by the Credit Valley Golf and Country Club.  It looked like access would be from the river on a nice day, if at all.  The shale cliff pictured below leads to the golf club and is on the same side of the river as the powerhouse remains.

IMG_2089

In 1902 Erindale Light and Power Company was formed to construct an hydro electric generating plant on the Credit River at Erindale.  It took 8 years to complete the construction which included a tunnel under Dundas Street.   A natural crook in the river was used to bring the water through the shortest possible tunnel.  The powerhouse was built near the end of Proudfoot Street.  Erindale and New Toronto got their power from the plant until 1923 when supply came to the area from Niagara Falls.  The 1960 aerial photograph below shows the power generating station 37 years after it went out of service.

Power

A small ravine is cut through the shale and initially it looked like a good possibility to be the tail race from the power station.  It is laid from top to bottom with old pipes that in many places are rusted through.

IMG_2032

Buried in the hillside are the remains of a pump dated July 19, 1921.  This 95 year old pump was manufactured by F. E. Meyers of Ashland Ohio who were a major manufacturer of farm equipment.  Founded in 1870 they invented the double action pump which could deliver a steady stream instead of just spurts of liquid.  In 1910 they created the pump and spray system that allowed the Panama Canal zone to be sprayed for mosquitos.  This saved thousands of people from getting malaria and allowed construction of the canal to be completed.  The pumping system and pipes run directly toward the Credit Valley Golf and Country Club.  The first 6 holes of which were developed in 1930 for W. D. Ross who was Lieutenant Governor of Ontario at the time.  In 1934 the course was leased from Ross and opened to the public.  Since then it has been expanded several times including 5 holes in 1954 on the west side of the river to bring it up to a full 18 holes.  The pumping system in the ravine predates the golf course by a decade but is contemporary with the final days of the electrical powerhouse operation in the valley.  It supplied water to the orchards that formerly stood on the golf course property.  A similar pumping system is located on Loyalist Creek as seen in the post Erindale Orchards.

IMG_2035

By 1916 the Erindale Powerhouse was in financial trouble and was bought out by the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario.  They continued to operate it until 1923 when power from Niagara Falls rendered it obsolete.  Demolished nearly 40 years ago, the woods are quickly taking over the site.

IMG_2051

There are pieces of old walls and plenty of steel left along the ravine side.  The cover photo shows one of the steel plates from the old structure.

IMG_2062

The old access road still runs along the side of the embankment.  It appears to be still maintained as there are no fallen branches on it and the tire tracks are free of plant growth.  There is a large open area at the bottom of the roadway that is being used as an amazing back yard by a home at the top of the ravine.

IMG_2071

Purple Flowering Raspberry is a member of the rose family and it blooms from early in the spring until early fall.  It is often grown for decoration because of it’s long season and bright flowers.  The fruit is made of many drupelets and is furry compared to a raspberry.  The berry is a little tart to the taste but can be eaten and is part of the diet of squirrels and birds.

IMG_2076

At the top of the access road are the old stone gate posts that marked the entrance to the facility.  Also located here is the “No Trespassing” sign that marked the beginning of the return journey.

IMG_2078

This tree has grown around these two stones and lifted them two feet off the ground.  They’ll continue to rise as the tree grows until it eventually falls and rots leaving them a couple of feet away from where they started.  It’s a good thing they have all the time in the world because it’ll take them forever to walk into town at this pace.

IMG_2087

This was an interesting trip but there is very little left of the old powerhouse.

Like us at http://www.facebook.com/hikingthegta

Follow us at http://www.hikingthegta.com

Erindale Orchards

Sat. Jan. 3, 2014

The day started off nice at -2 but was predicted to have a storm starting around noon.  We parked one more time in Erindale Park.  The plan was to enter the west side of the Credit River just south of the Sawmill Valley Creek’s confluence with the Credit.  We wanted to try and get to a point across the river from the Erindale Power Plant that we had been seeking when we hiked the Credit River at Erindale on January first.  We walked down the edge of Sawmill Valley Creek and turned south along the west side of the Credit River.  Almost immediately we came to the foundations of an old building which we identified as a house when we found the swimming pool in the back yard.

IMG_1893

Keeping to the river side of the fence line, we made our way along the river.  Soon we were past the point where we were stopped two days earlier by the shale cliffs on the east bank of the river.  Presently we found a raccoon who, contrary to their normal nocturnal habits, was sitting on the ground in broad daylight.  Suspecting that he was ill we acted with caution but there was no aggression.   In captivity a raccoon can live for up to 20 years but the normal life expectancy of a raccoon in the wild is less than 3 years.  Ones like this that aren’t in peak condition can become dinner to the local coyote helping to keep that number low.

IMG_1904

As we approached the bend in the river we started to see that the shale banks farther along would pose a problem like the one we experienced a couple of days earlier.  At the bend in the river we found the mouth of a small stream and so we followed it west toward Mississauga Road.

IMG_1947

A little way upstream we started to find extensive sections of old pipe along with concrete foundations in the creek.

IMG_1922

As we contemplated what their original purpose had been we noticed two people working in the woods with a Bobcat cleaning up fallen trees.  The man approached us and we had an opportunity to ask about the pipes.  He shared with us that the area above the ravine had been an extensive orchard and in the 1930’s a pump house had been built to irrigate the orchards. He also told us that the creek was named Loyalist Creek.  Pipes still run up the side of the hill on the south of Loyalist Creek toward orchards that were already gone by the 1960’s.

IMG_1930

We crossed Loyalist Creek and made our way as far along the shale cliffs as was reasonable and then turned back.  The shale along here has layers of thick harder stone that stick out like rows of broken teeth.

IMG_1935

Right at the mouth of  Loyalist Creek are several pieces of old concrete. We met the gentleman a second time and he had actually never noticed them.  It is likely that a dam was placed at the mouth of Loyalist Creek to retain a pond of water for consistent irrigation of the orchards during dry seasons.  As we were leaving we encountered the Bobcat operator who was quick to inform us that we were on private property, a fact that her husband had already failed to mention twice.  When we got to Mississauga Road we discovered that the property was very well marked with No Trespassing signs.  We had missed them by entering along Sawmill Valley Creek.  This is one hike that you can’t try yourself.  The old concrete at the mouth of the Loyalist Creek is shown in the photo below.

IMG_1931

Returning home it was time to do some research to see what could be learned.  I discovered that the 1880 Historical Atlas shows extensive apple farms around Erindale including the farm of Thomas Hammond.  In the 1971 aerial photo below, the Hammond farm has a large orchard that by quick calculation contains over 900 trees.  They appear as the straight rows of little dots. The Hammond farm house appears just to the left of the orchard at the top of the picture.  It was designated as a heritage building in 1991 and so a quick follow-up appeared to be in order. The area was sold for development shortly after this picture and by 1976 houses had replaced the orchards.

Apples 1971

(Sunday, Jan. 4)  We returned and parked near the old Hammond house which was built by Oliver Hammond. Oliver was born in 1812 and is featured in the cover photo.   Oliver built his house in 1866 and it currently sits on a large property tucked in the middle of the subdivision which was his farm’s final crop.  Loyalist Creek flows through the property close to the house.  A developer’s proposal suggests that the open space around the house will soon hold 7 new homes.  Hammond’s house will become just an odd old house, looking out of place, amid the modern homes on a small cul-de-sac.

IMG_1962

All that remains of the orchards is three rows of old trees in the park along the side of Lincoln Green Close.  It seems like these trees might still produce fruit in spite of their age.  Apple trees are not native to North America but were introduced by the French around 1606.  The McIntosh apple is named after John McIntosh who discovered a sapling on his farm in Upper Canada in 1811 and cultivated the tree which produced an exceptional fruit.  By the early 1900’s the McIntosh was the most commonly cultivated apple in North America.  This was due to the fact that it was good for both eating and cooking.   I’m not sure what kind of trees these are but they were planted around the right time to be McIntosh.

IMG_1963

The old Erindale Power Station remains elusive, but there is always future explorations to be made.

Like us at http://www.facebook.com/hikingthegta

Follow us at http://www.hikingthegta.com

 

 

Credit River at Erindale

Thursday Jan. 1, 2015

It was minus 6 feeling like minus 14.  Realizing that I hadn’t been hiking all year, I set out to fix that.  When we had investigated the Erindale Hydro Electric Dam in October we hadn’t looked for the power plant on the south end of town.  Parking in the first lot at Erindale Park we set off for the Credit River on the east side.

We crossed Dundas Street and entered a pathway down to the river from the east end of the bridge.  There we came across a large paper wasp nest.  Paper wasps build their nests out of chewed up plant fiber that they mix with saliva to make a paper-like substance.  They secrete a chemical onto the anchor stem of the nest so that ants don’t invade.  Gardeners consider paper wasps to be beneficial because they pollinate the plants as well as eat garden pests.

IMG_1773

It may have been New Years Day but we didn’t see any people swimming in the river, doing their polar bear thing.  A pair of mallard ducks were swimming in the slushy river, feeding and enjoying the day.  Mallards form breeding pairs in the fall and perform courtship rites all winter. In the spring when the eggs are laid they separate.  The male takes no role in the raising of the ducklings but will hang out with the guys all summer.  In the fall a male duck’s fancies turn lightly to love and he leaves the boys in search of a mate.

IMG_1785

As we made our way along the eastern river bank it started to look like we wouldn’t get around the curve in the river due to the shale banks along the side.  Going up and over wasn’t an option because in places the fence along the top was already falling down the embankment.   Water seeping out between the layers of shale has created icicles that reach down to the river in places.

IMG_1774

We were able to get out to where the ice had formed in the shale layers.  Where it flows out onto the thin river ice is currently impassible.  There is a possibility of making it around here in the summer when the water level is low.

IMG_1780

We decided to try to come at the old power station site from the top of the ravine.  We hoped to find access from one of the original Erindale side streets south of Dundas.  Turning north again we came to where Sawmill Valley Creek enters the Credit River just below Dundas Street.  It has been placed into a concrete channel with a series of concrete squares which help prevent the discharge from getting frozen by accelerating the water.

IMG_1792

Dundas Street was surveyed in 1796 by Augustus Jones who also surveyed Yonge Street.  These two streets were built by the Queens Rangers under the direction of Lieutenant-Governor General Simcoe.  Roads were required for easy movement of troops should the defence of Fort York become necessary, as it did in 1812.  Dundas Street has had several bridges over the Credit from the earliest wood structures to the current 4 lane version.  The remnants of the foundations for earlier bridges can be seen below the modern one.

IMG_1799

The picture below shows Erindale in 1910 looking west toward the river.  There is a vehicle just entering the bridge where the road hooks to the left.  Also featured in in this image are the stone flower mill, blacksmith shop, Barker’s Hotel with the large veranda and Caven’s store. The community hall is on the left.  All of these buildings were destroyed by fire in May 1919.

ha0045l (1)

Passing under the bridge we made our way back to the old power dam that created Lake Erindale from 1910 until 1940.

IMG_1800

Along the side of Dundas street stands the old head race for the power generating station. Water from Lake Erindale was diverted through a tunnel under Dundas Street to the power plant south of town.  A large intake structure allowed for the controlled flow of water from the lake.

IMG_1811

We climbed the hill behind the intake and crossed Dundas Street.  Following Proudfoot Street we looked for a way to get down to the river.  Short of boldly walking across someone’s lawn there is no access anywhere along the ravine.  This older part of town contains many historical homes from the days of settlement in Erindale.  The 1855 log home on Jarvis Street wasn’t one of them though.  It was moved here in the 1970’s but is cool because of it’s collection of antique wheels and pumps that are displayed around the outside of the house.

IMG_1824

Just east of the 1928 Community Hall is this old driving shed.  The cover photo is of this building with it’s horseshoe hanging upside down.  Horse shoes are considered lucky by some.  By hanging it with the open ends facing down it was supposed to pour the luck out over the doorway preventing evil from entering the building or home.

IMG_1827

This tree has been confused by the weather and is thinking about blooming.

IMG_1848

So, no luck on finding the tail race and foundations of the power plant today.  That will have to wait perhaps for a time when we can pass below the shale cliff on the side of the river.