Saturday, November 9, 2019
Beginning in the 1830s the area north of Oakville was opened for settlement and the community of Hornby found itself becoming an important stop on the trip into town. Hotels were opened and in 1850 Trafalgar Road (7th Line) was planked as far north as Stewarttown with a toll station in Hornby. However, by 1877 the railway had bypassed the town and Milton had been named as county seat. Hornby began to decline back to a county village. Today there isn’t much of the community that was named after Hornby Castle in Yorkshire but we went to see what could be found and photographed before it disappears forever.
Hornby became stretched out along what is now Steeles Avenue to the point where it was referred to as Hornby and West Hornby. Two cemeteries mark the eastern site of Hornby. The Methodist church was originally located on Lot 1 Concession 8 on the corner of the William McKindsey lot. On April 30, 1832 the land was sold to the Methodist Trustees. The land actually belonged to Kings College until 1840 and so the indenture wasn’t registered until 1842. The congregation built a small frame church and began a cemetery beside the church. They soon outgrew the frame church and moved to a new location leaving the cemetery behind. It has since been restored with the markers being gathered into a central location for preservation.
in 1856 the Wesleyan Methodist congregation built a new brick building a little farther west. This brick building was part of a preaching circuit that included Bowers, Munns, McCurdy’s, Omagh and Bethel. In 1925 the Methodists and Presbyterians joined to become The United Church of Canada. This building served the congregation until November 17, 1968 when it was closed and the parishioners joined with the Ashgrove United Church. Since then the building has been used as the Hornby Townhall. The spire with finial was built by Gordon Brigden at his machine shop in Hornby.
The first church built by the Presbyterian Church in Hornby was a frame structure constructed in 1835 across the street from the Wesleyan Methodist Church on Lot 1 Concession 9. Many of the founding settlers of Hornby are interred here and the cemetery remains active today. The original frame church was replaced in 1878 with a brick structure. The congregation did not choose to join the United Church and remained active until 1971 when it was amalgamated with Knox Presbyterian in Milton. The church building was destroyed by fire in 1978 and arson was suspected but never proven.
The first school building in Hornby was in a log cabin built in 1826. It was replaced with a new brick building in 1870. It operated as a school until 1963 when Pineview school was built on 5th sideroad.
Samuel Brooks owned this one and a half story farm house in 1878. The property changed hands several times until Frank Chisholm farmed the property through the middle of the twentieth century. There have been multiple additions to the house over the years. By the time it was assessed for cultural heritage in 2018 the structure was deteriorating and there was damage to the roof that had been covered over with plastic.
There has been a fire at the home since then and there is little doubt that the structure will be demolished for safety reasons. As of our visit the back door was open providing access to a very unsafe structure. It will likely be removed for safety reasons.
The drive shed on the property is in similar condition and the former farm will likely soon fall prey to the urban expansion that is spreading along Steeles Avenue.
We had parked on Trafalgar Road where there is an entrance to the Halton County Forest. After making our way through town and back up Hornby Road it was time to cut back through the forest to the car. There is a cairn commemorating John Coulson who owned the property and bequeathed it to the county for reforestation. The 89 acre tract was planted with white pine in 1959 and left to regenerate.
A summers worth of growth goes into producing seed pods to carry on the family line. The wild cucumbers have produced their edible seed pods, each one containing four seeds. In the next few weeks the bottom of each seed pod will open up and drop the seeds to the ground below.
River grapes have also come along nicely this year. These wild grapes have been bred into our table grapes to help produce a strain that is resistant to our climate. These grapes can be turned into a tasty grape jelly.
We followed Trafalgar Creek part way through the Coulson Tract and came across a cluster of asparagus that has no leaves but there are still many seeds on it.
There are still several early twentieth century homes and farms in the Hornby area. but the former community is in danger of being over run by urban sprawl.
Google Maps link: Hornby
Like us at http://www.facebook.com/hikingthegta
Follow us at http://www.hikingthegta.com
Also look for us on Instagram
Wow …this sure offers some lovely insight
Very good info
Ah ha! That’s what those spiky green plants are! I ran across some near the Scarborough Bluffs this summer. Great site, lots of interesting information.
Pingback: Ghost Towns of Halton Region | Hiking the GTA
Pingback: One Room Schools | Hiking the GTA